Followers

WELCOME

Welcome to the Order of the Opus Gluei!!!

New challenges every two weeks and open to YOUR interpretation - all art forms are welcome!

Come and play with us!

Saturday, January 2, 2010

Challenge #36 - A New Year - All New Challenges Ahead - Let's Trim Down

Hello everyone! Well, here we are just a teeny tiny bit into 2010 and I'm hoping we've all come through the holidays well! Your Opus-Gluei poobahs needed a little time to get ready and enjoy Christmas and we appreciate your participation in letting us know what you do to celebrate at this time of year.


Anyway, this challenge is a humorous take on our resolutions.


What is one of the biggest resolutions made by people every new year?


Why, to trim down and lose weight! Well, we like that idea too and so we're challenging you to trim down too - lighten up your stash of stuff that is and make something lovely with it! Express yourself and use what you have - use to lose - as it were!!!


Challenge #36 - Trim Down
This is my take on the Trim Down challenge- I actually used from my stash AND I trimmed down from my usual lots of girly colors to simply black, white, and red! I decided to celebrate my lifelong love of reading with a 2-page layout. I'll just put a paraphrase of the journaling (because I HATE when someone puts their journaling up and you can't read it...hee hee) If you really want to read it all then head on over to my personal blog.
(Jana here: This is so elegant. Love it. Adorable little girl too.)

My supplies are merely black, white, and red cardstock, Queen & Co. felt fusion - had since year 1, and photos from my camera. I apologize to any neat freaks for all the crookedy-ness - my trimmer has apparently bitten the dust and since I don't have spare cutting blades, I had to go all old-school and trim with scissors. Apparently, my accuracy has also bitten the dust. But, hey, it adds to that rustic, homey look - don't you think?

Journaling:



"This little girl loved reading; you could catch her almost any time – day or night – reading something. This photo was taken during the summer after a long day spent swimming at the pool. Yet, look at that sheer joy in the expression on my face. I’m reading, bliss bliss bliss. Probably a history book, my obsession with American History well documented in my “tween” years, yeah, because I was COOL like that (hee hee).

I read more than history, though. In fact, I loved everything and anything: Beverly Cleary books, Encyclopedia Brown mysteries, Nancy Drew, Charlotte’s Web, Louisa May Alcott, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, all the Little House books, Peanuts comic books, Justice League comics, the aforementioned American history books, U.S. Presidents, biographies of anyone and everyone! It was the thrill of cracking open a new book and losing myself in the pages until that last satisfying turn and then closing the new friend. Then searching for another…

I still have this chair, so worn and loved. It is the perfect reading chair; comfy, oversized, and very welcoming. Okay, there might be lumps in the seat and it makes a lot of creaking noises, but that simply makes it more like me now!..."




JANA here - Trim this! I like my rear. So much so that I have allowed it to become rather large. Just kidding. I don't like it large. So along with trimming down my hind quarter, I have decided to reduce my scrap drawer. Just a bit. And since the winter is just really getting started, I went with a winter theme. I love snowflakes.



I was only going to make two sets of Twinchies...









But they were so glittery I just HAD to sprinkle more... (Rosemary here - I totally get that)


(I am covered in glitter. I think its all over me AND my youngest.


She made the mistake of walking into the area whilst I was glittering.)


So I made a couple more sets. But, I couldn't just stop there... (I get that too - LOL)







I ended up making 9 sets of these little beauties.



Want one?




Just join us in our Trim Down, and you'll be entered into a drawing.


I made two sets for a swap. I am keeping one. DUH!



That leaves 6 sets up for grabs.


(kinda hopeful for entries, arent' I?)


And here's how I did it: I used scraps from some other project. I stamped Versamark winter words onto the blue. Punched out the snowflakes. Glued them onto the winter words. Then trimmed them down to 1 3/4 by 1 3/4 inches. Yup, totally backwards. Then I cut 2 inch squares. Or punched 2 inch scallop circles. I punched the ticket corners on a few of them. AND THEN... I glittered. I had a blast. Then I glued Dew Drops onto the centers of the snowflakes.


Products are varied, but include: Hampton Roads Stamp for Studio G, EK Success snowflake and scallop circle punches, SU ticket corner punch, The Robins Nest Dew Drops, Winter words stamp is unkown, Kraft cardstock is SU, not sure about the blue, and Memento ink ( I think) ( If anyone wants to know the unknowns, let me know and I'll get my large area off the couch and check for you. )



As always, you are only restricted artistically by your own imposed limitations - we want to see you STRETCH those brains, and exercise those stamps, ink, and sewing machines! Let's work those cutting arms and tame those massive stacks of paper, ribbon, and embellishments! We can do this, Opus Gluei Groupeis!

6 comments:

Jessica G. said...

Rosemary -- I was that girl, too and I still love to read. My girls are readers, too, so it's nice to see some good traits carry on! Beautiful layout; the black and white is so striking and classic while your journalling is perfect for 'telling the story'.

Jana -- wow, you are on a roll. Wonderful Twinchies with just the right about of sparkle!

Here's my 'trimming down' project:

http://jessobsession.blogspot.com/2010/01/trimming-down.html

Casii said...

I've got 2 posts using supplies I'm trying to trim down.

Love the layout and Twinchies. Rosemary, did I tell you I actually got in trouble with my parents for reading too much and not watching tv with them? Ah well!

Unfortunately, I could probably trim down for a year and still be flush with old stuff. LOL

http://grannypantychic.blogspot.com/2010/01/big-clean.html

http://grannypantychic.blogspot.com/2009/12/happy-new-year-creating.html

for2nately said...

Hey there ladies! Happy New Year!I finally got to play with you guys again! :)

Here's my trim down!
http://thefortunatestamper.blogspot.com/2010/01/hail-to-order-of-opus-gluei.html

hugs,
Elizabeth

Kristen H said...

http://kardsandklay.blogspot.com/2010/01/today-is-wonderful-day.html

Sorry for the cheating link... I was lazy :)

Hope you like it, I kind of cheated on my card too. Cheater, Cheater, Cheater....

Terry @ Krazy's Place said...

A great challenge for the New Year. I'm working on trimming down a very large pile of pictures of my darling grand niece and nephew. I have pages to make for 3 different scrapbooks of them! That ads up to a whole lot of pictures!!! You can see the page I made for your challenge on my blog

Electra said...

It's wonderful to have you Poobahs, your lovely work and your fun challenges back! You've been missed! Here's my attempt:
here